Thursday, December 27, 2012

MY NEW JOB

My new Job, I have had the same job for over 45 years. This new Job is by far the most difficult thing I have ever done or attempted to do. I had to learn new things do lots of research  I was looking through one of my book cases and found a Appalachian Champion dated 2006 so I guess I have been preparing for this hike since then. 6 YEARS.
Yes, My new job is backpacking. Long distance backpacking. miles and miles. 6 months at a time. This is the way you must treat a long distance hike, You must get light with your gear but still safe. You must be aware of water were it is and isn't. Which is hard to do when the guide says water and  yuo get there and there isn't any. You always ask south bounders were the next water is. Usually in the spring there is plenty of water but if  a dry winter maybe not. You will learn. The wilderness is not forgiving.  Do not go out there and think you will have a leisurely walk in the woods. As many new Long Distance backpackers think they are going to go for a walk in the woods. Oh I cant wait, I retired ,I quit my job, I got a divorcee, I read this book on the Appalachian Trail, I went to the Smokies or the Whites when I was 7 and always wanted to hike the entire trail.

It wont be anything like that. You will be miserable, you will hurt, you will be hungry, you will be tried  you will be cold, you will be wet. All you stuff will be wet. all your food and your maps will be wet. You will wonder why am I out here, what a I doing?

So if you treat this like your new job. I get up and hike. I get up and hike that's your new job. Hike, hike hike. As you go along day after day you will get better at all the new things you will be learning. Cooking in the rain, eating cold food when you run out of fuel. Packing up a wet tent. Putting on frozen socks and frozen shoes and walking out of camp. Putting up a wet tent. Carrying a wet pack on your back.

Getting into town thinking you will have a room. Ha.
Also when you get to town you think oh finally I get to rest. Well its more tiring then hiking. You cant jump in your car and run to the store buy grocery and come back to your room. You will be walking everywhere. You have to take the much needed shower, wash your clothes. I remember as I was taking a shower I washed my clothes at the bottom of the tub. Like stomping grapes. the laundry at in the hotel was broken. While you are in town you also will be looking for food. Real food you don't have to cook or think about what to eat. I have never thought the AYCE places made any money when hikers came to town.

Lots of people think they are going to read. Most people are to tried to read. I am thinking about a Kindle. They are very light. And if I get held up somewhere I will be able to at least read. Still thinking about that.

You will meet the most wonderful sincere people you will ever meet. And some will become long life friends. Some you will plan more hikes with. Some you will hike away from. But on the most part you will have the time of your life and see yourself for what you really are. Not what your job made you, not what your things made you, not what you have done in the past. No one cares. You wont even care when you keep hiking day after day.
If you are a flower or a tree person there are beautiful places that have wild flowers. If you want to see wildlife in the wild you will. If you want to test yourself to see if I can do this. You will, your hike will be what you want it to be. But I will remember this ITS MY NEW JOB.

1 comment:

  1. This is great - particularly the last paragraph. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete